Monday 9 November 2015

Bully Boy

BLAARP! The air horn blasted from at least a k behind –
Nice to get the warning but there’s not much I can do.
The road ahead is single lane with trees close on either side.
The narrow verge is wet and mucky like pools of filthy glue.

I sit on the speed limit and hold tightly to the wheel
But the monster there behind me is catching up for sure.
BLAARP! He nearly scared the life from my racing heart.
BLAARP! Not a friendly toot but an intimidating roar.

I’m travelling faster than I ever like to do
Way above the limit – but he’s huge with towering load
I watch him bearing down on me, a terrifying sight
I’ m so focused on him, hardly looking at the road

Oops I missed a driveway. I’m too fast to stop
I put my blinkers on to show I’m pulling over
But there’s nowhere to escape this nightmare
A deadly version of the children's game Red Rover

At last I see a gravel pit with space enough to turn
I spin the wheel, with beating heart and nerves all shot to hell
And leave the road in a spray of mud and stones and fear
I think, now that I’ve survived, I’ll have a tale to tell

One last blast and he thunders past then sits there on the road
After all that bullying, he slows down to a crawl.
He’s watching me in the mirror and sends a quick salute
A middle-finger greeting  that’s understood by all

I edge in there behind him and slow to match his pace
Never game to pass him now he’s made this into a race
I know he’d sit behind me and blast his rotten horn
I lift my head with purpose and hope he can feel my scorn

So I try to look complacent and show I don’t give a damn
But closer, ever closer I slowly forward creep
As I sit there in the roadway trying not to play his game
I summon all my courage and give a small defiant ...BEEP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.